LEVEL 1 DVD State Supplements
- How your state’s laws are different from the rest of the country.
- What those differences REALLY mean.
- What you should do in your state to make sure you stay free that wouldn’t work elsewhere.
- Illustrated with YOUR state’s statutes, court decisions, and jury instructions.
The world is full of grey areas. We all know this, but our courts don't see it that way. If you are forced to defend yourself, the long arm of the law either sees your actions as legal or criminal. There is nothing in-between.
That's the scary part of learning a generic version of self-defense law. What is legal in California may put you behind bars for 20+ years in Indiana. As I had said in our core class, the key to walking away from a fight free is to know the answers to 2 questions:
Sounds easy. But the answers to those two questions changes when you cross a jurisdictional border. And those borders aren't just state lines, sometimes they are counties or even cities. Getting a generic lesson on self-defense law can be useless. Or even worse: dangerous!
But my CCW teacher read me my state's statutes. I know what they are. I am good to go, right?
Your state statutes are important, don't get me wrong, but the real "rubber hits the road" when the courts apply those statutes. And often the courts read them in very different ways than you do. Following the plain-reading of a statute could put you in trouble! That's why you need to understand all 3 types of legal rules:
Luckily this DVD set incorporates legal research from all three legal sources to ensure you are getting the RIGHT information. Because it MATTERS.
- My state is stand-your-ground so its withdrawal rules are just like other stand-your-ground states. Right?
- All 50 states have a Castle Doctrine. That means within your house the rules are the same. Right?
- All criminal trials require prosecutors disprove self-defense beyond a reasonable doubt, right?
- Sorry, wrong too.
States VARY. Don't get caught doing what is right in Colorado just to find it means jailtime in Ohio. Know YOUR laws and the laws of EVERY state you visit.