Law of Self Defense Seminars/Webinars
“Not only a good idea, an EXCELLENT idea.”
Taking Andrew Branca’s Law of Self Defense Seminar would be not only a good idea, but an EXCELLENT idea. I’ve known him for many years. He’s one of my graduates, and more to the point, he’s an attorney who focuses on this kind of issue with a passion. I thought his reportage from the courtroom in the Zimmerman case (check www.legalinsurrection.com during the period of the trial) was the gold standard. By all means, take his course. I also recommend his new book, available through www.lawofselfdefense.com.”
–Massad Ayoob, Massad Ayoob Group
Don’t Delay: Get Your “Legal Body Armor” Today!
The Law of Self Defense Seminar/Webinar is a 4-hour in-depth online live event that instructs on the laws governing the use of force in defense of self, family, others, and property. Seminars are conducted live in-person by Attorney Andrew Branca, and are specific to the state in which they are held. Webinars are also conducted live by Attorney Branca, but over the internet at the convenience of your laptop, tablet, or smartphone. Webinars generally cover multiple states, and are customized for each participants’ state-specific self-defense statutes, jury instructions, and court decisions for the participants (see below for details).
For both seminars and webinars every participant is sent a printed customized copy of the ~250 slide presentation that includes the specific self-defense laws of their state, at no additional cost.
Build A Legally-Sound Self-Defense Strategy Customized for YOU
The value presented by the Law of Self Defense seminar/webinar is considerable. Over the course of 4 hours, and at a fraction of the cost of consulting one-on-one with a lawyer, you will learn how to build a legally-sound self-defense strategy by:
- Learning how to minimize your vulnerability to prosecution and civil suit.
- Preparing yourself to win BOTH the physical AND the legal battles.
- Learning not just the letter of the law but also how it’s actually applied actual courts and prosecutors to actual people.
- Knowing what a prosecutor MUST prove in order to defeat your self-defense claim.
- Learning key strategies for “armoring up” the most common legal vulnerabilities.
- Understanding the incredible legal risks of defending others, and the strict limits on defending property.
- Learning what “Stand-Your-Ground,” the “Castle Doctrine,” “Presumptions of Reasonableness” and “Self-defense Immunity” REALLY mean . . . and what they DO NOT mean.
- Knowing what to say to 911, to the first responders, and to the investigative officers (pro-tip: each interaction is VERY different).
Customized for the State-Specific Self-Defense Laws of the Participants
As mentioned above, in-person seminars are customized to the state in which the seminar is held.
Webinars generally cover several states, as participants log on from different locations around the country. During the live webinar illustrative statutes, jury instructions, and court decisions are drawn from among the many states from which participants have registered. That is, if participants have registered from 12 different states, as we proceed through the webinar we will randomly select from among those states’s laws to explain various points. Time does not allow every point to be illustrated with the full-text laws of every represented state.
However, the printed presentation YOU will receive is TOTALLY CUSTOMIZED to YOUR state, and includes all relevant self-defense statutes, jury instructions, and court decisions of YOUR state placed in the context of the webinar. When you receive your copy of the presentation you will find EVERY point illustrated with the relevant law from YOUR state.
Live Webinar Enables You to Ask Questions, Explore Hypothetical Self-Defense Scenarios
The live nature of both the seminars and webinars encourages the asking of questions and the exploration of hypothetical self-defense scenarios. During a seminar this is naturally done in person. During a webinar, the webinar interface allows participants to type questions or hypothetical scenarios directly to Attorney Branca. At regular intervals he will select from among these questions and scenarios to provide detailed responses. (Keep in mind, however, that neither the seminar nor webinar provides personal legal advice. If you are in need of personal legal advice consult a competent lawyer in your jurisdiction.)
Shortly after registering for a webinar you will be sent a Webinar Access email from Law of Self Defense (different from the Eventbrite confirmation). This Webinar Access email will contain your personal password and other instructions to access the webinar on the scheduled date and time. This password will only work for a single login, so you must not lose or share it. If you find yourself unable to participate in this webinar email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will gladly shift your password to another webinar date. (There are no refunds.)
SEMINAR: LIVE IN-PERSON
MASSACHUSETTS SEMINAR: Harvard Sportsmens Club, Harvard, MA, Saturday, November 15, 2014
HSC is my home range, and I’ve arranged a special discounted price of $99/person! NOTE: This seminar may cover other New England states in addition to Massachusetts. Contact email@example.com for details. Register today to secure your spot!
MASSACHUSETTS and RHODE ISLAND SEMINAR: Patriot Firearms School, Rehoboth, MA, Saturday, December 6, 2014
We will be covering BOTH Massachusetts AND Rhode Island self-defense law for the low price of $119!
NOTE: There are ONLY 20 seats for this seminar due to space constraints. It WILL sell out fast. Register today to secure your spot!
NEW HAMPSHIRE SEMINAR: Sig Sauer Academy, Epping, NH, Sunday, December 7, 2014
NOTE: This seminar may cover other New England states in addition to Massachusetts. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details. Register today to secure your spot!
TEXAS/OKLAHOMA/KANSAS SEMINAR: Booker, TX, Saturday, January 31, 2015
Register today to secure your spot!
TENNESSEE SPEAKING EVENT: Tom Given’s RangeMaster 13th Annual Tactical Conference, Memphis, TN, February 20-22, 2015
Register today to secure your spot! Tom has kindly invited me to speak at the conference, which I expect will consist of several ~1 hour long presentations given by a great many knowledgeable people over the course of the 3-day conference. (Note that this conference also includes an outstanding pistol match.)
FLORIDA SEMINAR: Naples, FL, Saturday, March 7, 2015, 10am to 2:30pm
FLORIDA SEMINAR: North West Florida Firearms Training, Pensacola, FL, Saturday, September 12, 2015, 9am to 1pm
Register today to secure your spot!
Reviews of LOSD Seminars:
“Not only a good idea, an EXCELLENT idea.” Taking Andrew Branca’s Law of Self Defense Seminar would be not only a good idea, but an EXCELLENT idea. I’ve known him for many years. He’s one of my graduates, and more to the point, he’s an attorney who focuses on this kind of issue with a passion. I thought his reportage from the courtroom in the Zimmerman case (check www.legalinsurrection.com during the period of the trial) was the gold standard. By all means, take his course. I also recommend his new book, available through www.lawofselfdefense.com.”
–Massad Ayoob, Massad Ayoob Group
“If you carry a gun for your personal security you need to read this book.” It has been my experience that most citizen shooters–and some cops, for that matter-really do not understand the proper application of deadly force and what to expect. Recently, I finished reading a book recommended by an FBI Agent friend of mine as being straightforward, useful, and not overly complex. The Law of Self Defense: An Indispensable Guide to the Armed Citizen by Andrew Branca is likely the best book I have ever read on the subject. No, it won’t make you a legal scholar, but you will have a much better understanding of the legalities of using any level of force. Branca, an attorney, covers legal subjects such as innocence, imminence, proportionality, avoidance, defense of others, defense of property, and crafting a legal strategy, but in my opinion his best chapter is the one on reasonableness. I thought I had a good handle on what many refer to as the “reasonableness doctrine,” but after reading this book, I now realize my viewpoint was a bit simplistic. If you carry a gun for your personal security, whether as a sworn officer or armed citizen, you need to read this book. Think that just because you are in uniform your agency will back your actions? You might want to think again.
–Dave Spaulding, Handgun Combatives
“An Excellent Investment” I found the book [The Law of Self Defense, 2nd Edition] very useful and informative, but I found the seminar to be even more so. Partially because of the very specific, knowledgeable discussion of the law in my area, and also because of seeing the impact the presentation was having on the other students. There were moments during the presentation when you could feel the air getting sucked out of the room as Andrew laid out some unpleasant truths about interaction with the legal system. This was obviously new information to many in the room and the looks on their faces told the story of preconceived notions being blown to kingdom come.
–Tim (@TCinVA), Gun Nuts Media
- The seminar was great, probably the most concise but thorough course I’ve attended on the topic (I’m a MAG [Massad Ayoob Group] 40 graduate by the way). It was definitely worth every penny and an afternoon of my weekend – and that is even after reading the book. — Reed Martz, Attorney, Memphis, TN
- “I always advocate more information/education for anyone planning on conceal carrying.Andrew’s class would fill that legal niche well and was very informative; having gone to both Massad Ayoob’s MAG20C and this, I can safely say at this point that although each class can have materials that may overlap, these classes, while being able to stand on it’s own, would be complementary with each other. A big thanks to Andrew for coming to Chicago, and another big thanks to Lawson Handgun Institute for hosting this!” — Chad N., Chicago, IL
- “I was able to attend the LOSD seminar and it was simply outstanding. Anyone that has a concealed carry license should make every effort to attend this seminar and study the material in Andrew’s book. Andrew really took the time to research and present an Illinois specific seminar to emphasize what you really need to know about Self-Defense law in Illinois. Andrew also presented the material in a thoughtful, well organized manner, and used examples and concepts that everyone could understand; making the complex legalese of the 720 ILCS 5/7-1 and Illinois case law comprehensible. Very pleased with the seminar and highly recommend it. The Lawson Handgun Institute also was a wonderful host” — Oliver C., Chicago, IL
- “The seminar was extremely valuable to us. Everyone who carries a gun should be in this seminar, it can save you a lot of problems later. ” — Bill L., Chillicothe, OH
- “Thanks again for a great seminar. It was the best CLE I’ve ever taken.” — Attorney Karen H., Charlotte, NC
- “The seminar was very informative and worthwhile! A big THANKS to Andrew Branca, and also to Lawson Handgun Institute for hosting the event.” — DjachDjach, Chicago, IL
- “Great class today! You hit on some really key points that are important and noteworthy.” — Mark J., Epping, NH (Sig Sauer Academy)
- “I thought the class was excellent!” — Patrick W., Epping, NH (Sig Sauer Academy)
- “Excellent seminar last Sunday. Your knowledge is absolutely invaluable. My wife and I were very impressed. ” — David V., Epping, NH (Sig Sauer Academy)
- “Hey Andrew, great class today…thank you. I am buying a second copy of your book for my (future) son-in-law.” — Warren P., Epping, NH (Sig Sauer Academy)
- “Andrew, please let me take this opportunity to express our sincere gratitude for the EXCELLENT Law of Self Defense Seminar in West Columbia, South Carolina today. Your presentation was presented in a manner easily understood by all. Factual. Interesting and thought provoking. I highly recommend your book “The Law of Self Defense” to Concealed Carry Instructors and law abiding citizens of every walk of life. THANKS AGAIN.” — Jim Jones, Self-Defense CWP, Columbia, SC
- “The seminar was great and I am spreading the word. We will try again later to put another on soon.” –Stuart Amos, Semper Primus Firearms Training, Columbia, SC
- “Once again let me thank you for a seminar that greatly exceeded my high expectations!” — Dr. Patrick Nolan, PhD, University of South Carolina
- “Great seminar. I found that some who believe they understand, don’t.” — Mark Watterson, Culpeper, VA
- “Thanks for the seminar. It was very informative, glad I was able to attend.” — Jessica Peterson, Culpeper, VA
- “The LOSD seminar in Culpeper Virginia was a fantastic presentation of necessary material.” — TC, Culpeper, VA
- “I enjoyed your LOSD seminar yesterday, and learned a lot. Thanks very much!” — Michael T., Culpeper, VA
- “Really enjoyed the LOSD Seminar today. So much to think about!” — Stew Stephenson, Culpeper, VA
- “Just want to thank you for the informative LOSD seminar yesterday. It was enjoyable and a lot of valuable info.” — Paul Blackburn, Culpeper, VA
- “Excellent class in Culpeper today. The LOSD seminar is a must if you carry for self defense!” — David T., Culpeper, VA
- “Outstanding seminar – excellent education on a serious subject. Would appreciate a copy of the slides when you have a chance. That was indeed a fire hose.” — Tom Henderson [Note: Slides are always available to attendees upon request.]
- “Great seminar with @LawSelfDefense in VA today. Great content and well-presented. Recommended highly!” — Charles Wain, Culpeper, VA
- “Great seminar, well worth the 4 hour drive to Atlanta.” — Sam Shallenberger, Nashville, TN
- “Andrew, I thoroughly enjoyed your seminar and I am looking forward to reading your book.” — Avery B., Columbia, SC
- “We just finished two Law of Self Defense seminars that we hosted at our classroom. The seminars took you through all the LEGAL issues from before the self defense shooting to all the way through the aftermath. If you missed these seminars and are interested in all the legal issues revolving around a self defense shooting, you missed a great opportunity. We are already working on hosting this seminar for next fall.” — Barry & Sandy O’Neal, Northwest Florida Firearms Training, Pensacola, FL
- “Great LOSD Seminar today at Mad Duck Training, had a lot of great feedback on the seminar, hope we can bring LOSD back again” — John Farquhar, Mad Duck Training, West Elkton, OH
- “Andrew, thank you for a fantastic seminar that was focused not only on Law of Self Defense, but one that included state-specific information that is not easily found without access to a law library. I have already received a number of reviews from attendees and each have been positive and thoughtful. Please continue the valuable work you do and thank you for sharing it with us!” — Chris Bunner, GunEnvy/Charlie-Bravo-Six Training, Columbus, OH
- “Andrew, after the Law of Self Defense Seminar, my wife and I had a lot to talk about. We appreciated how you are able to take complex legal concepts and make them simple enough for a regular person to understand. As a police officer, I am very aware how quickly the wrong force decision can place everything you hold dear in jeopardy, I learned so much. My wife knew the complexities of being a CCW permit holder, but your seminar gave her a deeper understanding of knowing what to do before, during and after a force encounter. Thank you for helping us understand the complex laws more easily.” — Glen Evans, WarriorMen
- “I was sufficiently impressed with the LOSD Seminar, I emailed our NRA director of state & local relations (basically, the chief state lobbyist) and recommended your seminar as potentially useful background info for his lobbyists who are out in the statehouses and frequently deal with legislation that affects LOSD. I told him it might be worth setting up a seminar here at NRA. — Matthew B., National Rifle Association, Fairfax, VA
- “We really enjoyed the LOSD Seminar and it gave us a lot to think about.” — Linda T., West Elkton, OH
- “Excellent Course ! — Joe G., West Elkton, OH
- “Great seminar! Thanks to John for hosting and to Andrew for some great information! The time raced by! Andrew provided information found nowhere else.” — Tad S., West Elkton, OH
- “Great seminar. We got a lot out of it. Looking forward to reading the book.” — William M., West Elkton, OH
- “Excellent class!!” — Joe G., West Elkton, OH
- “Everyone I spoke to afterwards said the LOSD Seminar was eye opening. Someone even suggested that your book be ‘Required Reading’ if applying for concealed carry, and I agree. I suggest to everyone I know who owns a gun that they read your book.” — Scott K., Fairfax, VA
- “Your LOSD Seminar was very informative.” — David C., Fairfax, VA
- “The event was educational thank you for putting these on. The LOSD Seminar provides some of the most important information out there for gun owners.” — Peter B., Columbus, OH
- “Great information and we really enjoyed the seminar. Thank you for putting this information together in an easy to follow format! Will certainly suggest your book to attendees in our CCW classes.” — Becky F., Fairfax, VA
About LOSD Seminars:
The Law of Self-Defense Seminar provides a comprehensive fact- and law-based education on the law of self-defense, presented by a nationally recognized legal expert in the field. The Seminars are in-person and conducted by Attorney Andrew Branca. This seminar is customized to the self-defense law of the state in which the seminar is held, and uses court cases, statutes, and jury instructions to illustrate how the law of self defense is actually applied by real courts to real people in real self-defense scenarios. During the intensive 3-hour plus seminar will learn how to craft their own “legally-sound self-defense strategy” best-suited to meet their personal situations and priorities. Attorney Branca will also stay after the formal conclusion of the seminar to answer any individual questions not covered in the seminar itself, at no extra cost. Participants will leave the seminar armed with the legal knowledge and analytical tools necessary to apply the law of self-defense in a practical and actionable way to self-defense situations that may arise in their daily lives. All participants will receive a certificate of completion of the seminar. They will also have the option to obtain a copy of the presentation slides at no cost, as well as a discount code for purchase of a custom autographed print copy of “The Law of Self Defense, 2nd Edition.” For more concrete details on the content of a Law of Self Defense Seminar, and what to expect in terms of content, check out our syllabus here: Depending on the size of the group and the number of questions, the seminar/webinar tends to last about 3 hours, followed by an open-ended Q&A period–I do my best to make sure nobody leaves with any questions unanswered. Any questions that can’t be answered on the spot will be noted and a response sent to the entire group upon the issue being researched. Andrew is in his third decade of practicing law in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. He is a nationally recognized expert on the law of self-defense, and has been quoted in this context by the Wall Street Journal, the Chicago Tribune, the Washington Post, and many other mainstream media, including nationally syndicated broadcast media. Andrew began his competitive shooting activities as a youth, and today is a life member of the National Rifle Association (NRA) and a Master class competitor in multiple divisions in the International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA). Andrew has for many years been an NRA-certified firearms instructor in pistol, rifle, and personal protection, and is currently a guest instructor at the Sig Sauer Academy on the law of self-defense. He holds or has held concealed carry permits in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Maine, Pennsylvania, Florida, Utah, and other states.
Law of Self Defense WEBINARS
Due to the high degree of interest we are receiving to the seminars–meeting the demand of which would require me to be traveling full-time–is scheduling a series of Law of Self Defense WEBINARS. These webinars are live-stream (NOT pre-recorded) and delivered over the internet to the convenience of your home (or wherever). The syllabus is identical to that of the in-person seminars, and participants text in questions and receive responses much as they would raise their hand in an in-person seminar. Every webinar participant is be sent a complimentary copy of the “The Law of Self-Defense” as part of their registration, early enough that they would have the book on hand as a state-specific reference during the webinar. If you’re interested in learning how to register for a webinar, please let us know using the form below–be sure to check the little box that indicates webinar interest in particular.
Want More Information on Seminar Scheduling/Registration?
Seminars are being put together now – dates and times will be announced as they are solidified. If you would like more information on attending or hosting a seminar just fill out the easy form below:
I sincerely hope to meet you in person very soon… Best regards, –Andrew, @LawSelfDefense
TEST TEST TEST IGNORE CONTENT BELOW
Purchase Online Seminar: “Unarmed attacker”–$59, 4 hours, PAY-PER-VIEW